Friday, November 30, 2007

Review: Blue Beetle #21

So, guest writer fill-in issue. All-in-all, it wasn't that bad. Felt pretty dense to me, actually, but maybe that's because of how decompressed my usual comics fare is. I dunno. But I got the feeling I got a hell of a lot of comic for my 3 bucks this issue.

I like the cover. Simple, but it tells you all you need to know.

The shade of blue changing in the narration-boxes kinda throws me off. Do they usually do that?

I'm sure that "Las Tunas" does not actually translate to "The Tunas" (as in the fish), but that won't stop me from snickering at the idea.

"I've never come any closer to war than Mr. Robles' 7th grade Phys Ed..." While the joke amuses me, I somehow doubt that 7th grade P.E. was more strenuous than the last 20 issues of this book. Just a thought.

Query: If this is Las Tunas Federal Correctional Facility, then why do the shirts of the inmates read "TDC"? What's that stand for?

I'm not going to bother translating the Scarab Speak on this issue since it's all cribbed from previous issues and therefore makes absolutely no sense in context. Strangely enough, I'm pretty sure we have our regular letterer, and I would think that the Scarab Speak would be their responsibility, so I'm not sure why this is, but, oh, well. C'est la vie.

"I don't even wanna know what the Reach used "Population Suppression" for..." My guess is suppressing the populace, Jaime. ;D

Jaime, you are a superhero: nothing is ever just easy. Ever.

OK, dude's sitting in an electric chair, got a noose around the neck, and a big honkin' needle in each arm. The Spectre: Can Not Count.

Also, I'd like to be the billionth person in the world to point out how absolutely ridiculous the Spectre's outfit really is. God really has the most twisted sense of humor.

It's not like you could really kill the Spectre anyway, Jaime.

Jaime, why are you asking so many stupid questions today? "Systems lock" would probably mean that your systems (well, the Scarab's, at least) are, y'know, locked. Exciting!

I am strangely fond of the Spectre's yelling face in the first panel here.

Luis. Wow. Talk about somebody who hasn't been mentioned since the first trade! And remember that this issue will presumably be collected in the 4th trade. So I guess I might as well remind you that he used to work for Jaime's dad and is the reason Mr. Reyes is walking around with a cane these days. Funtimes.

"Dude!!" indeed, Paco. Because, seriously, dude. Wrath of God is big news.

Am I a horrible person for laughing at "you didn't mean gringo when you called him 'all white'"?

OK, temporary pause for commenting on an ad here. My issue has an ad for some "Dino Squad" faux-anime-looking TV show or whatever. The explanatory blurb includes the glorious hyphenated monstrosity "mutant-raptor-scientist." Isn't that just special?

Jaime hasn't told his parents about Traci yet? Oh, teenagers. (Granted, I did the exact same thing, but, uhhhhh.... Heh. Oh, teenagers.)

Yay, Peacemaker's well-being!

At least I never outright lied to my parents about my boyfriend, Jaime! I just put off telling them about him until it was strictly necessary!

Also I suspect that Mr. Reyes did not fall for that ruse at all. The Reyes parents are clever folk, man.

Viva la editor's boxes!

Also, I adore Jaime's parents. Just in general. If only my parents were even a quarter as awesome.

I don't think the number of limbs there matches up correctly, but I don't think I want to think about it too hard, either.

Kehehehe, pimp school. Oh, Paco.

"They can smell fear!" Oh, Paco.

Paco's Spanish grade. Oh, Paco.

Traci's very pretty here.

I don't think Sodom and Gomorrah were stepped on, but I get what you're getting at, Traci.

If Spectre's punishing those who manage to dodge Man's vengeance, then why is he picking off guys in prison in Texas of all places? I mean, yeah, of course, gotta happen for the plot, but seriously.

...Actually, wait, I remember that Spectre said that 3 murders meant 3 death penalties, but then Paco said that the guy was in for only 2 counts of Murder One. Smooooooooth, Mr. Peniston.

...Oh, Lordy, what a terrible last name to have.[/tangent]

"Sweet and corny. You're like a good breakfast cereal." Hee! :D

I've got no witty commentary for Jaime's conversation with Luis, sorry.

...So, after I complain about the "Oh Dios Mio!" on the Teen Titans cover, here's a "Dios Mio." in Jaime's book itself. *Smacks forehead* C'est la vie.

Man, I bet the Spectre's breath absolutely reeks.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate the distinction between "evil" and "weak."

Oh, Jaime, don't you realize that once you fall into the hero business you can't ever get out? Especially if your codename's the Blue Beetle?

So, basically, the Scarab is extremely scary and everybody in the DCU should be thankful that Jaime exists.

I'd like to note that Jaime's room looks pretty damn clean to me.

Jaime's family struck me as devout enough to go to church every Sunday, but *shrugs*.

And, once again, Jaime's parents = adoration. True Fact.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to admit, when I wrote the "Dios mio," I did it with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I did it to amuse myself basically, even though I knew it's go through because it's comic Spanish.

In my day (well, night...I'm a bartender when I'm not writing comics) job, I work with a LOT of Latinos, and amuse them with my continual cries of "Madre de Dios!!!" But I thought that was too mucb for this issue.