Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Review: Blue Beetle #23

Yeah, I ended up never reviewing #22. So I'll do that right now, real shortlike: It rocked.

I bought 4 books today:

Atomic Robo #4- Needs to stop coming out on Booster Gold weeks so I can actually remember to buy it. Also it was good.

Wonder Woman #16- Did not totally rawk my socks off, but doesn't fill me with boundless rage, either. Hrm. Also, didn't she, like, just come back to life? And is showing up in multiple comics? (But I'd rather not get into that headache....) So I'm having a bit of trouble caring/worrying.

Teen Titans #55- Is probably going to be the last issue of Teen Titans I pick up. I started getting this book for Jaime, and I don't really approve of how McKeever is writing Jaime. Also there is just something about Tim and Cassie that makes me want to stab people in the face and never stop, so I figure it's for the best if I just drop it.

I will admit that I did chuckle at Rose dismissing Jaime's talk of the Reach as just joking, though.

And, of course Blue Beetle #23, which was soooooo goooooooood.

Pg. 1: "Yaaaaaay me." Hee. Oh, Jaime. <3

WWTKD? Oh, Jaime. <3

Hahahahaha, the books on the bookshelf. 5 and 2 and then 2 and 3. I don't know who's responsible for that, but <3 <3 <3 for them.

Pg. 2: C2IC Parallel #2 (#1 being the Beetley star, of course): The massive Conspiracy the Justice League wouldn't believe.

I rather like Jaime's description of the average Teen Titans meeting.

Pg. 3: Any plan in which Paco does not get to help is a sucky plan. Of course.

It is impressive to be an uptight control freak at 8.

Pg. 4: I am interested by the social system slightly exposited by the Negotiator and Dawur here.

Also I bet the ruling caste is totally scary and I hope they show up sometime.

Part of me wants to play around with the Calculus in the first panel. The other part wants to beat that part into a bloody pulp for even suggesting it. And then I get sad because I look at it and realize that I don't really remember much Calculus.

Pg. 5: Thousand-year rule? Haven't the Reach been around for a good deal longer than that?

C2IC Parallel #3: The bad guys closely monitoring the hero's every move! (Yeah, that's pretty standard fare, but still.)

Pg. 6: Oh, Jaime, you're so wonderfully responsible. And again with the incredible 8-year-olds! Also, <3 Jaime's parents. As always.

Pg. 7: Om nom nom themes.

<3 last panel.

Pg. 8: I like how Jaime had different narration-thought-boxes when he's in costume.

I just.... Oh, Jaime. <3

Pg. 10: I love that Ted managed to get 3 entire chapters worth of notes on time travel out of vague hints from Booster. And that he appears to have also noted Booster's jokes and lists of boob-slang.

Nebulae is the correct plural of nebula, but I guess that could change in the 400-some years between now and then.

Also, I am surprised that those notes are at all comprehensible, considering how often the rules of time travel as relate to Booster Gold keep contradicting themselves.

Should Booster Gold-related time travel craziness count as C2IC Parallel #4? I think it might be stretching it a bit....

Pg. 11: Delightful, delightful time travel craziness.

Pg. 12: Hahahaha, Jaime's so confused. <3

Pg. 14: Yes, the dialogue monologue here matches up with on page 11.

Pg. 15: Invisible-fied!

\m/ triangulation. Clever!

I oddly <3 the expression on the Negotiator's face in that 2nd-to-last panel. It's so "Bwuuaaaahh!"

Pg. 16: I audibly gasped at the Scarab speaking English. Truly one of the most awesome things I have ever seen in a comic book. <3 It's just pure Fuck. Yes.

Pg. 18: Oh, Negotiator, you sneaky bastard.

Pg. 19: D:

C2IC Parallel #4/5: Lightning-bolt-esque energy from space machine destroying Beetle's home with friends/family inside. D:

(I, uhhhh, checked, and the sound effect does not match up perfectly with C2IC, at least. It's just "CA-KOOOM" in C2IC, as opposed to the "WHAKA-KHOOOM" here.)

Pg. 20: Poor Jaime. :(

Pg. 21: Shouldn't that have, like, killed Jaime? Or at least rendered him extremely unconscious?

The Negotiator really is a Magnificent Bastard.

Pg. 22: Man, now that is a helluva last page.

And maybe by next month I'll have figured out how many C2IC Parallels the cover of next issue will count for!

2 comments:

shanealt said...

IT'S SO GOOD <33333

HotAndCold said...

Shane- IT REALLY IS <333333