Thursday, January 3, 2008

So, uh, it's been a month.

Whoops. I did say I could make no promises about actually updating regularly. But now that Christmas is over and I have no deadlines to knit for, we should be good. We'll see how this keeps up. Hopefully, we'll be at least mostly caught up by the time the next issue of Booster Gold comes out, considering that I have yet to blog the last issue of it. (Short version: It totally rocked and breaks my heart in the best way.) But I'm at my parents' house right now, and don't have access to a comic shop out here, so times they are a-difficult.

So, this post is going to have little to no worthwhile content, but, so help me, I feel like pointing out something about Heroclix that bothers me.

Now, I don't play Heroclix, but I have looked at it a bit (mostly because Heroclix figures kept popping up in my regular eBay searches and I just had to know what the heck REV stood for). There are 3 versions of every Heroclix figure: Rookie, Experienced, and Veteran. (And that's what REV stands for: the auction has the complete set.) Unless they're Unique figures, like the Guardians or Jaime Reyes or something. But Unique is irrelevant here, I wanna talk about Rookie, Experienced, and Veteran.

Now, a lot of characters go a long time without changing their costume, or only change it really temporarily or in incredibly minor ways. The Big Three, Green Lanterns, Ted Kord, etc. But then you've got people who change their costumes... not frequently (at least, not since the 90's, lawl), but often enough that the costume they were wearing when they were a rookie is different from the one they were wearing when they were "experienced" is different from the one they were wearing when they're a veteran. (I guess that should be in quotation marks since I'm pretty sure you have to be retired to be a vet....)

I am, of course, specifically referring to Booster Gold. Because his recent Heroclix figure features the 52 costume. For all 3 versions. And Booster in his 52 costume being ranked as a Rookie (with a Justice League affiliation that, I may add, the Veteran rank lacks. How perfect.) makes my brain feel a bit twisty.

I think in my perfect world, Rookie Booster would be in the collared classic costume, of course. Experienced would probably have to be one of the armors. Probably the Flesh Driver armor, if only because it is the least eye-stabby. Possibly you could stretch a bit and make it the off-center star costume. I liked that costume. Veteran would be the 52 costume or the current one. (Dan Jurgens draws it without the stripes on the arm connecting the glove to the shoulder, and, honestly, I rather prefer it that way.)

[Completely unrelated tangent: I used to really not at all like the blue gloves, y'know. Like, really hated 'em. But they've grown on me. Probably because Dan Jurgens actually draws Booster's Legion Flight Ring, and the blue makes it pop as opposed to the gold, where it blended right in. I can only hope that this means artists that draw Booster in the future remember to put the ring in now that it's more obvious that it's there. They probably won't and I'll probably whine about it, but I can hope, right?]

I mean, I understand why the keep one mold for all 3, that's just common sense, but it still gives me a minor case of the brain-twist. Nothing important, but, hey, it's something to blog about!

1 comment:

wanderfish said...

Heh, I poke through HeroClix too. They're so preeeetty. Supernova's on the poster for the next one, if I recall correctly...

I knew the blue gloves would win you over eventually! (If it's any consolation, I've grown fond of the collar, although I think it's fitting that he doesn't have it anymore. I mean, setting aside the whole fact that his costume is his power and where the hell did this one even come from and all that.)

Oh, bad news, issue 6 is in two weeks, not next week. :( Damn you five-week months!