Friday, November 9, 2007

Dear Self: This is a Comics Blog, Not a Knitting Blog.

Business the 1st: I apologize for the lack of post yesterday. I was busy trying to get my Blue Beetle yarn in my hands. It was insane. But at least I have the yarn now! I'm thinking I'm gonna knit these suckers. The design might describe the lace pattern as leaf-like, but I look at that and see scarab wings. Hopefully it will not look horrible in black and blue.

Business the 2nd: Went to LCS today, ended up getting both trades of GLC and no Wonder Woman. GLC was good. I'm totally digging how the cast is all huge 'n' everything. I kinda want to learn everything there is to know about all the members. This could not end badly at all.

Seriously, though, like, there's this chick in the 2nd trade, and her name isn't even mentioned, but one of her hands is a ring construct, and I think that's totally cool. Who is that? What happened? Was it as utterly badass as I am imagining?

Something I noticed, however, is that some plot threads seem to get dropped and then picked up again a couple of issues later, which I'm sure I would kinda find utterly maddening if I was reading it monthly. But maybe I wouldn't. I don't know. I do intend to start picking up GLC once the Sinestro War is over, and then picking up the Sinestro war in trade, so we'll see if this stitch-slipping trend continues.

...Actually, I really like that, the comparison of writing to knitting. That is totally a great metaphor. There are all sorts of different needles and yarn out there, just like there's all sorts of different media, and certain needles and yarn are better for certain types of projects than others are, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't knit that certain type of project with a different sort of needles and yarn or write that certain type of story with a different medium. It just takes more effort and consideration to make it work just the right way. Sometimes you have to pass over a stitch/story thread for a row so you can do something better with it in the next, and sometimes you got to knit a couple of stitches together to shape the fabric just right, and sometimes you have to add stitches, and sometimes to have to bind them off and end them. And sometimes you have to sew some different knit pieces together, or write a crossover. And if you don't do all that in the right way at the right time, the whole thing ends up looking stupid. And if you don't do any of it at all, then what you end up with is a garter stitch rectangle, be it a dishcloth or a scarf or what-have-you, and while there's not really anything necessarily wrong with those, they are incredibly boring to knit (although useful as a learning tool when one is first starting), and, well, if one starts a hobby to be entertained, be it knitting or reading comics or watching a certain TV show or whatever, one does not want to indulge in that hobby if it's boring. Because if it's boring, then it's not a hobby anymore: it's a chore. And nobody likes chores. (Because if they like them, then it's a hobby!)

...I've had knitting on the mind a lot lately. I'm sorry.

Business the 3rd: Y'know what I realized while I was at work today?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And it only took about 18 years!

...

I'm sorry. I really can't be held responsible for the things my brain throws at me. (Seriously, just ask Shobha. She knows exactly what I'm talking about. And I'd say I'm very sorry for that, but I'm really not. :P Sharing is therapeutic!)

4 comments:

wanderfish said...

Whatever the writing equivalent to the Rogue is, I want it.

I think the handless Lantern is Boodikka. Wikipedia knows more than I do, as I haven't gotten past the first trade for GLC yet. So yes, it was.

In some twisted corner of my fanon, the first thing Booster thought upon discovering that Max had shot Ted in the head - in that moment you get after bad news, where you can't believe it's true and so only the really silly stupid thoughts manage to make it to your brain - was "I fucking called it."

SallyP said...

Yes, the handless GL is Boodika of Bellatrix. She was originally recruited by Hal Jordan, and when he went all nuts and everything, he cut off her hand, in order to get her ring. She and the other Lanterns that Hal "killed" were recently discoverd on Biot, the artifical world created by Hank Henshaw, the Cyborg Superman, and were rescued by both Hal and Guy Gardner. All events as recently portrayed in Green Lantern.

And yes, I've seen that same scan of Booster and Beetle, and it always makes me sniffle.

shanealt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HotAndCold said...

Man, Hallax cutting it off like that is nowhere near as badass as I was hoping. Saaaaaaad.