Thursday, November 29, 2007

Oh, Hey, Did You Hear That Blue Beetle's HISPANIC?!

I groaned at the Teen Titans cover. That speech bubble was completely unnecessary and somewhat painful, even. I mean, seriously. I don't think Jaime's ever been shown to curse in Spanish at all. I can remember a few "damn"s from him, but other than that.... And who says "Oh Dios Mio!" anyway? I mean, I'll admit that I don't know many Spanish speakers, but that just doesn't sound right to me at all. (Is it even grammatically correct? I don't know, man, I took Latin in High School.) I was thinking about it after I bought it and I actually remembered it as "Madre de Dios!" or something like that that would translate to "Mother of God!" instead of "Oh my God!" 'Cuz somehow that makes more sense to me. I dunno. *Waves hand vaguely* Catholicism.

Which led me to realize that the current roster of the Teen Titans + Jaime currently consists of, if I've got this right, 2 Catholics, 2 aliens, 2 atheists/agnostics/lapsed whatevers/doesn't really give enough of a damn about religion to self-categorize (I can only assume that Tim and Rose are non-religious since neither strikes me as religious), and 1 Greek. (What do you call somebody who worships the Greek pantheon, anyway?) I'm not sure what I'm getting at here, but that certainly looks like an interesting set-up. Really, though, I'll I'm getting from it is the mental image of Tim planning some Titans thing and asking if Sunday morning's OK for everybody else and Jaime and Eddie both being like, "Can't. Mass." (Possibly followed up by M'gann asking if Sunday is somehow denser than other days, because I can never resist a good corny science joke.)

The discovery that Eddie and Jaime share a religion has only served to further my determination that they should be the best of friends. Red and Blue, guys! Who's with me?

Ummm, right. Comics I bought this week:
Teen Titans #53
Blue Beetle #21

So, that's 2 instances of Jaime, neither of which was written by John Rogers. How distinctly unusual.

I enjoyed both, though there were things that seemed slightly off about Jaime's portrayal in both of them. Meh.

Normally, I would promptly launch into a long, involved rant about Blue Beetle here, but I just experienced a sudden rush of "Oh, God, must finish Christmas knitting! D:", so, ummmm, laterz. I may end up blogging over the weekend to make up for slacking so much during the week. We shall see.

But I'd just like to note that the Scarab Speak in Blue Beetle is, uhhhh, well, let's not say "untranslatable" but rather, it was directly cribbed from previous issues. The first bit of Scarab Speak translates to "Sinestro". Needless to say, I was very confused.

But to round out this Jaime-licious post, I'll just link to this. Jaime Reyes is keepin' the peace down in El Paso, folks.

1 comment:

Nalwonk said...

I only read Blue Beetle, but I got the same feeling. It was a nice enough story, but as you said, things seemed off.