Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Review: Booster Gold #4

What I bought this week:
Booster Gold #4
Wonder Woman #14
All-Star Superman #9

Wonder Woman was hmmm. I'm not sold, but I'll probably finish this arc out, at least, and then we'll see where we stand.

ASS was great stuff, but that's par for the course there.

Which brings us to Booster. Get comfy, guys, we'll be here for a while.

I am amused by Booster's towel and coffee. So nice that the drunk thing didn't get dropped between issues. I hate it when things get dropped between issues.

"That whiskey saved Superman." Best excuse for drunkenness ever Y/Y?

As an aside, I hate possessive plurals. How on Earth do you even say "Flashes'"? It's so awkward.

Also, eye color arrrrrrrrrgh.

I kind of get the feeling I'm missing a reference of some sort with the title of this chapter. Hmmm.

Time Spheres are pretty dangerous.

Is Wally restraining Booster from attempting to more or less rip "Rex"'s face off here? I'm not entirely sure.

The question is, is it OK to push Lex into an oncoming train now? Because man, oh man, would I love to see some repercussions from New Year's in 52. Because just thinking about the look on Boosternova's face in that one scene sends shivers up my spine.

Being the greatest by virtue of being the only is not really a good thing, "Rex".

Getting deleted from time hurts, apparently. Although I'd suppose it would.

Supernova is a dick.

Supernova's robot is also a dick. But Skeets is adorable.

Danny got dressed between issues. );

Oh, Rose, I love you to pieces. And am somewhat mystified that you're going to end up with a goober like Danny.

"And we had a moment, I swear." Can we legitimately call this a Jocasta complex? Does such a thing even exist?

"I'll can only tell you" *Winces*

Question: Since when does Booster keep spare costumes? Since when is it even possibly for Booster to have spare costumes?

Oh, Danny, Danny, Danny, that was not very wise of you. Also, your hair is way shorter than Booster's anyway. I dig the cocked eyebrow, though.

Is that The Giant Mummy That Was Not Dead?!

...Is that Jaime?!

History is crazily specific about this lightning storm, apparently.

"And I shall brag to all my robot friends." seems to be our required ridiculous moment of the issue. (Compare to Rip's "Friends don't let friends drive drunk!" last issue and Sinestro's mustache twirl in issue 2.)

As an aside, I love the word "fisticuffs." I also kinda love how Rip's attack doesn't really look like he's applying any of those martial arts or fighting techniques he was just bragging about.

Booster's dad (If this interview is to be believed, his name is Jonar, for the record.) looks incredibly creepy and not at all like how I'd expected him to look. Mostly because I was under the impression that Booster got the vast majority of his looks from his father's side. (Mostly because he doesn't resemble his mother very much.) The huge scar down the side of his face and blank eye certainly don't help matters any. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. D:

What also doesn't help is that there's this weird red mark on my copy that goes right over Jonar's face.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Stuff. Of. Nightmares!

Bonnie was, if my memory serves, Rip's girlfriend back in the day. Rex is a bastard.

I am relieved to see that relation to Booster is still a requirement for the Supernova suit. It was mentioned in Week 52 when Daniel showed up, and then wasn't mentioned at all in the first 3 issues and I was almost worried about it. I guess mentioning it again would've made it too obvious?

"Or be the hero my son couldn't." Jonar Carter. Asshole.

One wonders what the last time Booster refers to was.

"Without guidance, you'll always be a failure. You'll always be a disappointment." Jonar Carter. Asshole.

"Tell me something I don't know." Booster Gold. Woobie.

Skeets is the littlest Big Damn Hero ever.

Jonar bringing up Shel and blaming Booster for it. Asshole.

And Booster actually tearing up at that. Woobie.

I really cannot wait to find out the full story here, y'know. I don't have patience, darnnit!

The fact that the Supernova mask keeps disappearing and then reappearing in Booster's hand bothers me.

I like Booster categorizing his dad as a bad guy. Finally! Booster shows evidence of actually having a spine when it comes to his relatives!

Look at Booster's posing on this page and try and tell me it's not unsettlingly Luthoresque.

As an aside, I really love how Booster tends to refer to Skeets in human terms. He says "awake" here, instead of something like "online" that would be more applicable. Even back in Countdown to Infinite Crisis, you've got "kidnapped" and "murdered" instead of "stolen" and "destroyed."

Gawd, Booster's in such a bad mood here. Am I a horrible person for loving it? At least he's focusing it towards a goal.

But man, Rip, you picked the absolute worst person for a time cop.

I kinda totally love Babs/Ted. So I am pleased by this ending.

But horrified by the thought of Booster vs. Joker. No possible way for that to end well.

9 comments:

Nalwonk said...

"Is Wally restraining Booster from attempting to more or less rip "Rex"'s face off here? I'm not entirely sure."
It looks to me like Wally is helping him up.

"Is that The Giant Mummy That Was Not Dead?!"
The time/place/hight seems off, but that was my first thought. He was never called Karloff before though.

HotAndCold said...

It looks to me like Wally is helping him up.

Hmmm, yes, that would make sense, wouldn't it?

wanderfish said...

Woooooooo. :D

WW is solid. There's a lot to be fixed from previous runs, so I feel it deserves a bit of a run-up.

I'm totally going to use "That whiskey saved Superman" next time I'm tipsy. Except I don't drink whiskey. Hrm.

Whatever reference you're missing, I'm missing it too. I agree with your instincts there though.

I can't help but think there's some importance to evil-Skeet's' name. There probably isn't, but I'm inclined to suspect foreshadowing of everything in this book. (And Jonar's appearance means that I feel even more justified in interpreting certain things as foreshadowing a Shel appearance. *pumps fist*)

Maybe Danny will redeem himself! It could happen. I like to think that at least eventually he has to stop being a total goober, otherwise he's a fairly shallow character in a fairly deep book. (Disclaimer: As you are well aware, I <3 Danny to the max.)

And maybe he'll explain that he wears a wig! A very short wig. It's tradition, after all. And it's not like if he puts on the suit he won't have all the same powers Booster does (except maybe flight? Depending on whether the implication in 52 that his suit does that now too is accurate), so he could easily fake being Booster. (Assuming those suits work, although I have no idea why they wouldn't apart from the question of where the hell he would get more working suits. But considering the history he's had with that old thing, if he could get spares who would blame him for keeping a few?)

Could be the Giant Mummy etc., although I seem to recall it being larger. Don't have the issues anymore, though, so I can't say. (Sidenote: I hope Dan sticks around long enough to justify reprinting his old stuff. I don't think he will, but I hope.) If nothing else it's a totally plausible Dan enemy. Would have preferred a giant rat, though.

I'll eat my hat if that's Jaime. (Although after all the times I've said that in the last 24 hours, I should probably get some chewing practice in.) And as we've seen from Arena, seems any human (possibly any humanoid) bonding with the Scarab looks like that. (Maybe it's Arena-Dan. It sounds plausibly Danlike.) I would be okay with it totally inexplicably being him so long as I'm wrong about my horrible horrible idea, though. D: indeed.

Skeets deserves some robot friends. Or at least some friends not Booster. Because nobody deserves to be "the guy that Booster Gold looks down on". (For all that Booster treats him like a human, he does seem to pick on him a lot - making him mop and all that.)

You know, out of anyone else Rip's little speech before he starts pounding Rex would be totally lame. But, well, it's Rip. He would totally make a speech about how smart and badass he is before he kicked your ass street brawl style.

His name had damn well better be Jonar. I guess we'll probably find out when he comes back. Maybe he was better-looking before the horrifying eye thing happened? Seriously, that's pretty horrifying.

I'm pleased that my two concerns with the identity of Supernova (namely, the genetic component and the "Michael" thing) were both adequately addressed with this choice. Am still not sure what I think of Booster's relationship with his dad - it's not like him to be blaming stuff on someone not himself! - but really it doesn't surprise me at all that he would give up his whole damn life to try to make someone like him. Oh, Booster. You woobie.

Oh, Shel. You asshole, Jonar. (Sidenote: I would love it if, despite everything, one of the things Jonar wanted to change was Shel's death.)

There seems to be a large "biology is destiny ... ?" theme running through Booster's storylines both here and in 52. It makes me want to write a paper on it, and then punch myself in the face.

Luthoresque Booster is delicious. Let's face it, we've been waiting for this since the beginning. (Not that he didn't do it in the beginning, too.) And then it will all go to hell. Oh, Booster. Save Shel anyway, you bastard!

Booster in Gotham makes me happy. Because you know that with this book? That's going to get pointed out.

wanderfish said...

Heh, that comment is half as long as your original post.

HotAndCold said...

I can't help but think there's some importance to evil-Skeet's' name.

If the Absorbascon is to be believed, it's apparently a joke. A quick Wikipedia search gives me a character from the Sliders TV show and a robot from a Disney movie. Possibly a reference to both. I would not put it past the Geo/Jeffs.

Maybe Danny will redeem himself! It could happen. I like to think that at least eventually he has to stop being a total goober, otherwise he's a fairly shallow character in a fairly deep book. (Disclaimer: As you are well aware, I <3 Danny to the max.)

It has been stated a few times that Danny is kind of representative of early Booster....

But considering the history he's had with that old thing, if he could get spares who would blame him for keeping a few?

25th century cops? :B

Booster in Gotham makes me happy. Because you know that with this book? That's going to get pointed out.

Oh, God, yes. Yes.

...

Yes.

...

Waiting sucks. :(

wanderfish said...

It has been stated a few times that Danny is kind of representative of early Booster....

Biology is destiny, maaaaaan. Which I guess means he has to go through some tragedy, briefly grow up, then get thrown into a social situation where maturity is discouraged.

25th century cops? :B

Touché.

... I'm not going to really be happy until Broderick shows up, I know it. (Okay, okay, I'm already happy. But if that happened I might explode.)

Waiting sucks. :(

Yeah. :( We made it from when the book was announced until it finally came out! We can do this!

HotAndCold said...

Biology is destiny, maaaaaan. Which I guess means he has to go through some tragedy, briefly grow up, then get thrown into a social situation where maturity is discouraged.

I just hope he doesn't find out the hard way that nothing good ever happens to people who steal costumes from Booster. D:

... I'm not going to really be happy until Broderick shows up, I know it. (Okay, okay, I'm already happy. But if that happened I might explode.)

I probably would asplode. All over the blog. It would be gruesome.

wanderfish said...

I just hope he doesn't find out the hard way that nothing good ever happens to people who steal costumes from Booster. D:

Just breathe deep and remind yourself: he has to live long enough to reproduce.

I probably would asplode. All over the blog. It would be gruesome.

I would clean it up. It would be worth it.

Come on, we were promised! And Danny J is on this book! Maybe he remembers!

Anonymous said...

Yes, this post was ages ago, but I just got the trade of 52 pickup and your blog came up when I wanted to know what the scarab said to Jaime...

Anyway, in case you still didn't know, the chapter title "He's gonna save every one of us" is a reference to Flash Gordon, both the awesome film and the awesome Queen song that goes with it. I am shocked that you are unfamiliar with them ;)