Friday, November 23, 2007

Flash/Waid-fest!

Well, I've had something of a busy holiday (which is why I haven't posted since Monday, aheh), so I'mma keep this short 'n' sweet, 'K?

This week was Flash-o-licious. Or Waid-o-licious. Or both. I got Brave & the Bold and Flash.

Iris and Jai are really growing on me, it turns out. I seem to like super-spawn in general, it seems. I have no objections to Damien over in Batman or Chris Kent over in Superman (although I suppose that Chris doesn't exactly count as super-spawn). But I was kind of iffy-feeling about Iris and Jai until this week. I like 'em.

But I can't shake the horrible feeling that one of them (probably Jai) is somehow dooooooooooomed. Sad.

Anyway, both comics were enjoyable. I'm inclined to say that I enjoyed BatB more than I did Flash, but that might be because BatB was a more self-contained story.

Also, the ending was a delicious gut-punch of my favorite sort. >:3

It probably doesn't help that I read BatB before I read Flash, so throughout most of Flash, I was trying to apply the ending of BatB. I think I've decided on Iris, but I've been wrong in that past. It's entirely possible that Kingdom Come is influencing my thoughts.

It's all probably irrelevant anyway, but it's interesting to think about.

The Flash back-up was fluffy and fun and I absolutely love the art on it to pieces. Also oodles. It's just really pretty. And it's unique and distinctive without looking out of place in comics like Ross's or Acuna's art does sometimes.

And I enjoyed the story there, too, of course.

I hear there was a vaguely Ted-like Dan Garrett Blue Beetle in the Gotham by Gaslight Countdown Special or whatever its actual title is, so I intend to give that a look-see the next time I swing by my LCS.

...Yeah, this is my version of "short 'n' sweet." Kinda pathetic, hunh?

1 comment:

shanealt said...

"Iris and Jai are really growing on me"

Gotta love them.

"But I can't shake the horrible feeling that one of them (probably Jai) is somehow dooooooooooomed. Sad."

Noooooooooooooooooooo.

"Anyway, both comics were enjoyable. I'm inclined to say that I enjoyed BatB more than I did Flash, but that might be because BatB was a more self-contained story."

The art by George Perez never hurts.


"It probably doesn't help that I read BatB before I read Flash, so throughout most of Flash, I was trying to apply the ending of BatB. I think I've decided on Iris, but I've been wrong in that past. It's entirely possible that Kingdom Come is influencing my thoughts."

Waid may be writing both titles, so I'm sure there'd be some connection, but I don't want to think that he'd put up some major plot points for Jai and Iris in another comic so soon after they were introduced. They should at least be established characters before their story really begins to develop in other titles.

That said, let's get them an appearance in the Teen Titans for some Jaime/Jai/Iris/M'gann hilarity.