Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Well, This is Strange

This is the first Wednesday since I moved out to California (back in mid-August, mind you) that I didn't visit Comics Factory, my LCS. I worked all day today (from 10 to 7) and went in the opposite direction for lunch, since I craved sushi, and, well, there wasn't anything on the list of things available today that I found interesting. (Except for the 2nd trade of Green Lantern Corps, but that's going to have to wait until I get the 1st trade of Green Lantern Corps, now isn't it?)

I suppose it was a statistical inevitability, really. I'm only picking up a handful of books, after all, and there's only so many things I want in trade. But it still feels weird.

Of course, this also raises the question of what I'll buy when I go to the shop tomorrow or whenever. Besides Booster Gold, that is. That hardly counts any more.

I kinda want to see if there are any trades of Rucka's Wonder Woman there, to prep for Gail's coming to the book next week. Bluefall over on scans_daily has been pimping it like whoa with scans, and I do so very much love the Rucka-penned OMAC Project, which has a Panels in Which Booster Appears:Panels Which Make HAC Go "Oh, Booster ♥" ratio rivaled only by the current series. (Although I may be cheating a bit by including Countdown to Infinite Crisis in with the OMAC Project, since I have it in trade, making them a cohesive unit to me. I have, on occasion, just sat and stared at the hospital scene in C2IC, no lie. The concentration of pure woobie in those three pages is absolutely epic. And I am all about the woobie.)

On the other hand, I do, as previously mentioned, need the first trade of GLC....

Nothing's stopping me from investing in both, of course, and, knowing me, that's probably what I'll end up doing. But pondering the situation gives me something to yak about!

8 comments:

shanealt said...

Psst...All-New Atom. So worth it. I tend to equate it with Blue Beetle.

wanderfish said...

I have, on occasion, just sat and stared at the hospital scene in C2IC, no lie.

It's things like this which are why I don't own it yet. I would be doing that all the time.

Intriguingly I had a very busy comics day yesterday, but it was all stuff nobody else I know is reading. To hell with all y'all, I love The Order. Mostly because of my love of California and solid narrative structure, sure, but still. Shanealt has a point though, All-New Atom is pretty good from what I can tell (I, uh, still need to find out if the second trade is out and if so purchase it).

Also, were you buying Metal Men? I swear someone else I knew was buying Metal Men. That was out yesterday. I think I almost understood what happened in it, too.

HotAndCold said...

I don't want to pick up All-New Atom yet because I don't know squat about anybody in it, so I would definitely have to go back and pick up trades, and I'm already planning on doing that with GLC, and I don't really want to try and play catch-up on two books at once, and GLC definitely interests me more than Atom does.

I bought a copy of Metal Men #2 because it had been signed by Duncan Roleau, but never bothered to pick up #1 and read them. I'm a horrible person.

shanealt said...

The second Atom trade comes out in early December, shobha.

The title was decent in the first trade, but after that it really picked up, and everything after the second trade has really been up there as one of my favorite titles. It really did mirror my Blue Beetle experiences in a number of ways.

Metal Men, I think, is going to read much better in a trade than in individual issues. So I'm waiting for that.

SallyP said...

Both books for Green Lantern Corps are well worth the purchase. Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

I love Omac Project just for the Booster stuff. All his scene was wonderful. And while there are things I don't like about Countdown to IC it has some of my favorite Booster/Beetle moments. So getting it in trade sounds good. I'm even thinking of getting the Time Master series since I've come to adore Rip. I think the old BG series is going to trade too.

HotAndCold said...

The old Booster series isn't just getting traded, it's getting a Showcase coming in March. The entire series, with a few extras, like the Action Comics crossover issue and the Secret Origins story. Of course, it's all in black and white, but at least it'll be (relatively) cheap.

A Caveat about Time Masters: Rip and Consistency do not have a good relationship. Not that it would be a bad investment, but the Rip you get in Time Masters might not act entirely like the Rip you get in Booster Gold (the current series, that is. I think he is the same Rip as was in the original series.)

C2IC has its fair share of misses (Ted is an only child, guys!), but I think I could forgive all of its faults for the sake of the hospital scene alone.

I don't often reread the non-Booster parts of the OMAC Project as compared to just the Booster parts, that's for sure. But, well, the appeal of the book to me isn't "Batman screwed up!", it's "Booster Gold is falling apart!" It hurts in the best way.

Anonymous said...

Booster sounds good regardless, I got hooked on some old Marvel reprints in black and white trades. I have a lot of the old comics anyway just missing some issues.

I know that about Rip but I'm still interested in him. Not to mention that I heard that Booster appears. Everytime I see this one scan of Rip on the phone with Booster promising never to ask for anything else from him I can't help but smile.

I hated how everyone is okay with Hal Jordon but can't be bothered with Ted. I adore that hospital scene, and the scene where Booster is staring at the scarab. The fact that he knows and Ted knows what kind of person his friend is--Gah. I also love how when Ted is scared he thinks of Booster.

I liked how Booster gets out of the hospital still bandaged up and you can tell how much he changed by how he handles the "fan." His words to Batman in 2 before and after the reveal were so true and powerful. And I adored how Guy came to him. He cares even though he had his issues with Ted.