Monday, October 15, 2007

How 'bout those solicits, huh?

Oh, look at that, the DC Solicits for January are up. Let's take a gander.

Hmmm, Countdown--Oh, wow, we're almost down to a quarter of the series left? Wow. Maybe noteworthy things will begin to happen?--Teen Titans, Teen Titans, Teen Titans, Countdown, Countdown...

*Scroll scroll scroll*

Oh, look, somebody looks to be dying in Black Canary/Green Arrow (it is traditional to do these things in alphabetical order, is it not? So why is Ollie/Connor headlining here? Tsk, tsk, DC.), how charming.

*Scroll scroll*

Ah, here's Booster GoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH

BOOSTER GOLD #6
Written by Geoff Johns & Jeff Katz
Art and cover by Dan Jurgens & Norm Rapmund
"52 Pick-Up" concludes as Booster Gold journeys back in time to save the best friend he ever had – the Blue Beetle! But can Booster stop Maxwell Lord before someone else dies in Ted Kord's place? And will Ted Kord let that happen?
On sale January 9 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

MY

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

SHIT.

Well.

Wow.

I wasn't expecting this, not now. I figured it was an anniversary issue sort of thing. I mean, yes, Booster did imply that he was going to be rescuing Ted as soon as he beat the snot out of whoever was screwing with time, but....

Man, this just isn't the sort of thing you end your first arc with. Johns and Katz, I admire your cajones.

I also worry for Booster's mental health after this, especially after you make him deal with Joker and The Killing Joke the issue before. Oh, I trust you, Geo/Jeffs, make no mistake about that. This series has been consistently good beyond my hopes, and I have faith that it will continue to be so. And I do honestly love to see Booster in trouble, because it is so fun to watch him, but, y'know, you can only put him through so much stress before he breaks and he can't be put back together very easily.

Issue 6 is a bit early to be doing that, don't you think?

I mean, I daren't even hope that Ted comes back. I mean, maybe I'm just assuming the worst here and that covers and solicits lie and Ted will somehow make it through this hunky-dory and nothing will happen that could cause Booster to have a mental breakdown. But I can't really see that happening.

Of course, Ted's not the only part of the solicit. Just the biggest, immediately apparent part. We've also got this: "before someone else dies in Ted Kord's place? And will Ted Kord let that happen?"

Technically, there are all sorts of possibilities here. The one that immediately popped into my mind, and, in fact, has been in my mind since I saw that last panel of Booster Gold #1, is, well, it takes some explaining.

Booster's time traveling here, of course. So we actually have two Booster Golds existing at the same time. Not a big deal; it's happened before. Supernova 'n' all that. The thing is, the past Booster would be, at this moment in time, unconscious in a hospital bed. Not a very good position to be in, strategically. Especially when Max has things like the OMACs on his side.

So, basically, I'm putting my money on something happening to the Booster who's in the hospital and Ted deciding to take that bullet to save Booster and stop time from falling apart from sheer power of paradox. We'll see if I'm right.

6 comments:

Nalwonk said...

Wow, I hadn't even thought of that. Time travel is so crazy.

Oh, and your new layout. It's probably just me, but everything seems to run together now, especially the bits and the end of an entry.

wanderfish said...

Okay, I suspect I'll be returning to this entry, but here are the thoughts of a fish who has only just woken up.

I do suspect this is gonna tie into the whole "or Ted Kord" thing from the interview. You know the one. Poor Booster.

It would be, uh, well not ironic really but Alanis-ironic at least if Ted gets himself killed trying to save hospital!Booster, considering the reason Booster's in the hospital in the first place. It would explain why Ted decided to go off and confront Max (not that he knew it was Max but whatever) right then. I mean, yes, he didn't know Booster would be out so fast, but it still always bothered me just a little bit.

(I suppose the correct answer is "because he wouldn't get to make a dramatic speech otherwise".)

My main question in response to that is why would Max bother? I guess he did seem to respect Ted enough that he might be willing to spend the time engaging in psychological warfare by going after Booster. Or perhaps he thought Booster found something before things went all splodey.

I wonder how this ties into issue zero, and I sort of said something about this talking to you last night but whatevs. Either he'll fail and end up going home, just like last time he experienced Ted's death (because even if Ted dying in this issue wouldn't change things, it would mean he'd have to deal with it all over again), or he'll succeed and we'll start setting up Shel. I can hope. Of course, success would seem to require more than one issue to deal with...

They'll pull this off one way or another, I'm pretty sure. Maybe they just couldn't bear to let it drag out too long. I do know that Geoff, at least, is very fond of the Ted/Booster friendship, so ... that may mean something. It may mean he wouldn't be able to bring himself to put Booster through that again, but then, you and I do that kind of stuff to him all the time...

HotAndCold said...

Andrew: Doesn't seem runny together to me. *Shrugs*

Shobha: Well, what I was kind of figuring was that Booster comes in at the last minute before Max shoots Ted, guns/Beetles a-blazin', but Jaime or Ted stops him from killing off Max, so Max gets away.

wanderfish said...

I think "Blazin' Beetles!" may have to replace "Blue Blazes" in my personal vocabulary.

wanderfish said...

I guess that isn't vocabulary so much as it is an idiolect. Nerd? Me? Never!

HotAndCold said...

I like the flow of "Blazin' Blue Beetles!" best, I think.