Friday, October 19, 2007

Thinking of All the Money I Could've Saved Hurts Me a Little Inside

So, after a bit over two months here, I finally bothered to set up a pull list at my LCS. Turns out I get a 15% discount for that. Saving money: Always a good thing!

My Real Life Pull List, as it turns out, is a bit longer than my Theoretical Pull List, if we discount the multiple copies of Booster Gold on the Theoretical List.

My Pull List:
Booster Gold
Blue Beetle
Teen Titans
JSA
Brave and the Bold
Atomic Robo

Also managed to guilt myself into buying the latest issue of Brave & the Bold, and managed to resist the urge to buy a T-Shirt. We'll see how long that lasts.

BatB was, for the record, rather enjoyable. I like that Peej and Diana have different facial features. Good show, Perez! And I think, though I'm not entirely sure, that Peej's facial features match with Supergirl's. If they do, then even better show, Perez! I love the little button nose, too. S'cute.

Anyway, I read J2 yesterday, and it was enjoyable enough, as far as series go. I wouldn't recommend running down to your LCS and ravaging the back issues in search of it, or anything, but it's not a purchase I regret making. It's corny and cute. And I must say, Wild Thing is what X-23 should look like, with her short, stubby head 'n' all. But X-23 just plain mystifies me, anyway.

But, ummm, highlights! Because these bits amused me and I feel like sharing! \o/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(My favorite part might be that he's trying to thread the needle on the wrong end. Hah!)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(OK, so I'm secretly 12 and I find toilets automatically hilarious. Nyeeeeer.)

As you may have noticed, it's a very wordy book. Very wordy. I'm not sure there's a single panel in all 12 issues without words of some sort in it, even discounting sound effects as words. And that'd be annoying with a lot of other characters, but it kind of works for li'l Juggie. Zane there definitely strikes me as the type to mentally narrate his own life.

It's also worth noting that every issue has at least two stories in it. It's an interesting way of doing things, I suppose. It also has the side effect of making me think that things happened later in the series than they did, so imagine my surprise when something I had thought happened in the 4th issue or so actually happened in the 2nd. Aheh.

Biggest surprise: Random, bizarre appearance of Deadpool. OK, what? (And he wasn't even talking in yellow. For shame, whoever had that responsibility!)

All in all, I'm not really surprised that this only lasted for 12 issues.

2 comments:

shanealt said...

J2 was actually only ever SUPPOSED to be for 12 issues, same as Spider-Girl and A-Next. The plan was to do three maxi's, and then do the same for other MC2 concepts. However, Spider-Girl's higher sales caused them to turn her title into an ongoing.

So J2 wasn't a failure, per say...it just wasn't a major success.

shanealt said...

Also, glad to see you bought Brave and the Bold! It's almost always up there as one of my favorite titles of the month (the week where issue six of BatB AND issue one of Booster Gold caused a debate in my comic shop as to which one was the best title to come out that week).